Sunday, August 15, 2010

From this to that: Sourdough Mozzerella Sticks

The sourdough started I created from thin air.  ;)

Many moons ago I created some sourdough started from scratch because I had an itching to make that Friendship Bread where you stick in flavored puddings.  My mom had made some when I was a kid (reciving starter from a friend/relative who had passed on this chain of food).  Having no one with starter that I new of I was excited to be successful in starting my own.  Well, that bread didn't turn out so well; it didn't rise enough.  I blame my cheapo bread pans more than the failed recipe.  (Which in fact I believe that the 2nd loaf of that batch is still in my freezer -- waiting for me to do something with it.) Discouraged, I put my extra start in the freezer until the day I had the urge to try again.

That day came again several weeks ago when I decided to take the plunge into exploring real foods.  I haven't been 100% in changing my eating habits.  It is hard when I have never cared for wheat breads in the past.  I have been absent from recording my eating habits, because I've still caved into the convenience of eating out during my lunch breaks. 

But I am reporting my excitement now it what may be the best pizza I've had in a very long time.  And get this, the basis of this yummy goodness is my wheat sourdough pizza crust. Therefore from this:

I  made this:

I didn't have any jarred, purchased pizza sauce in the house, since I'm trying to move away from processes foods with high fructose corn syrup, so I made my own from some home made canned tomato juice my mom had given me (also many moons ago).  Topped with Italian sausage and cheese, this gooey goodness is making me hungry for a slice even as I finished it off last night. 

But I was able to enjoy another round of the crust.  How?  Well I felt that my mound of pizza dough was more than would fit on my pizza pan.  I didn't want a super thick crust that would have a hard time baking so I left out maybe a quarter of that dough with the abstract idea of making something else with it . . .perhaps buns.

Then yesterday as  I was rearranging my fridge in order to use up some leftovers, I saw my glass dish of mozzarella.  Bread dough and mozzarella. . .perfect combo to make cheese sticks!
Simple to make if dough is already made!  
Slice some cheese and roll up!
Roll to press into shape so holds together.
Admittedly they look a little odd on the pan. . . .wheat flour.
Maybe a little much cheese, as they exploded with melty-ness!
Bread sticks a side dish to my salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment