Friday, December 3, 2010

Presents for the lil' boys

Mateo's baby quilt
I finally finished the mitered quilt.  This is my first true quilt where I followed a particular design.  I've made crazy quilts before, but I found this was actually easier/faster because it was basically a series of blocks that I sewed together.  When I first saw this design in a book, I had no reason to make a baby quilt, aside from just "for the fun of it."  But then I saw the perfect fabric, and it just so happens that my coworker was expecting a baby any day and it hit me.  I'd make her a baby gift.  Well I began cutting it out Monday, November 21st and coincidentally, Baby Mateo was born the next day, Tuesday, November 22nd. 

The quilt turned out lovely, and I ended up using some cotton batting so it's not only soft for baby, but  a little more eco friendly too.  I tied off the centers with some yarn that I happened to have that luckily matched pretty closely to the colors.  An excellent benefit of having a multi-colored motif.  The only problem is that I am going to have a hard time giving this one away!  I want to snuggle with my blankie on this cold December night!

I mostly finished (depends if I want to make 3 more name tags to include "aunt," "uncle" and "cousin") Charles mailman set for his Christmas present.  I will explain how it was created in a future post, but want to show of tonight's hard work.  I was so involved in these projects that I kind of forgot about eating.  Peanut M&Ms got me through the evening. . . but now that it's almost midnight I think that I'll just head to bed.  Have to go to my real job in the morn.

Mail bag, hat, and sample postcards & envelope

No comments:

Post a Comment